How did it start?


In 2024 my mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease.  It's a hateful condition that has been stealing her a little bit further from me every day but more on that later.

It was mum and Nanny Checky (mums mum) as I called her ignited my love of reading.  There was always time for a story.  My Twinkle comic came weekly every Thursday and I clambered on to my nans knee after lunch and we disappeared for a while into the land of Nurse Nancy, Sam and Shona McGregor not forgetting My Little Brother.   For that hour or so nothing else mattered I was lost in their world.   


My nanny and me


Books became my ultimate escape from the world whether I read myself or through bedtime stories that few moments at the end of the day.  I travelled to Narnia climbed Faraway Trees and went flying to different lands on Wishing Chairs. I could go anywhere, anytime.  Those otherworlds became sanctuaries to me through my dad's illness and death and my spinal surgeries.  

Like many young girls growing up in the 80s I loved a school story especially St Claires and Malory Towers. I dreamed of midnight feasts, common rooms and groups of friends more like sisters.  My mum always talked about her favourite school series growing up which was The Abbey Girls by Elsie Oxenham there were numerous books produced between the 1920s and the 1950s.  Her mum had also read to her some of the original Abbey books that had belonged to her (the was born in 1911).    

 Ive been able to track down a copy of  one of the earliest and now out of print Abbey Girls that I didn't have to sell my soul or remortgage my house for.  I ordered it this morning.  When it arrives Im going to take it in to the nursing home and read it to her.  I doubt she will remember it, I doubt she will know but it's just a little way of saying  thank you for sharing your love of reading and going back to where it all began The Abbey School.  Ive an idea there's are new collection on the horizon,






Twinkle my highlight of the week.  Santa also provided books annuals, history books, novels


Books read so far this year 23

Currently reading - The House of a Hundred Whispers - Graham Masterson


Comments

Popular Posts